What are the roles involved?
Worship leader, preacher, children’s storyteller, song leader, accompanist.
What to expect in the week before the service?
It is expected that worship leader will talk with the others on the worship team at least a week prior to the service being led, in order to coordinate all the elements so that they flow well and fit together thematically. The pastor is always available for consultation as you prepare the service. Remember to give enough time for musicians to practice when accompanying congregational singing.
The typical communication for the week may look like:
- Friday, one week prior to the Sunday being planned, the preacher and worship leader are in contact about the focus of the sermon and Scripture text to be used. Preacher may send this information to everyone on the worship team.
- By Monday, the worship leader passes on the focus and Scripture to the rest of the worship team, if preacher has not already done this.
- The worship leader or preacher may suggest songs or ideas for song leader and children’s time leader. Otherwise, song leader and children’s time leader discern what songs/stories to use.
- The worship leader should send a draft order of worship to all involved by Tuesday.
- The song leader adds the songs by Thursday evening and communicates with the accompanist/musicians.
- The worship leader incorporates songs, with titles and numbers, into the final order of worship and sends the final order to our Office Manager by 8:30 am Friday. Include any musicians, scripture readers, and others leading the service.
The planning can also be done more collaboratively by arranging a time when everyone meets together to pray and plan. This is usually done early in the process of forming the service.
What to expect the morning of the service?
All worship and other leaders for the service should arrive no later than 8:45 a.m., and be finished setting up by 9:00 a.m. At that time, we will join together for prayer in the office. Pre-service music or singing can help the congregation be ready to begin worship together at 9:15 a.m.